Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gold Rush 5K

I have never been a runner or really had the desire to run - but this winter, I decided that I did want to do the Joplin Memorial 5K in May.  So, in February I started the Couch to 5K program (for the 14th time) and I actually stuck with it.  I highly recommend this program for anyone that has no experience in running and would like to start running.  It eases you into running longer times and distances. 
 
When Lance brought home the flyer for the Gold Rush 5K, I thought why not? It would be a good first race and one that Lance and I could do together. The weather was not the most ideal, it snowed on the morning of the race, yes - I did say snow in May - can you believe that? Crazy weather! Luckily it was an evening race and although is was a bit chilly, it was bearable and I was just glad that it wasnt snowing or raining. 

 

Lance and Grayson all bundled up before the race.

Mommy, Lance and Grayson waiting for the race to start

Grayson and Matt did the 1 mile fun run

Matt doing his run

Mommy and Lance before their race

Ready to go!

And we are off!
 Lance started the race off with me and about 5 minutes in, he looked up at me and asked if he could go on with out me.  I guess Mom was too slow for him!
Starting/Finish line

Slow and steady


Lancer bringing it in



Coming to the finish line! Lance did come back and run across the finish line with me - sweet boy :-)
 
Showing off my ribbon

We finished! That was my ultimate goal - just to finish the race!!  Lance did a great job on his first 5K, he finished with a time just a little over 32 minutes and I finished with a time of 41.34 - I'll take it! Next race up is the Joplin Memorial Run - Matt is doing the half marathon, Lance and I are doing the 5K and Grayson is doing the fun run.

No comments:

Post a Comment